Low Sodium French Onion Soup
- Servings: 10
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 40 minutes
|5||Large Sweet Onions, sliced|
|5||Large Red Onions, sliced|
|2 sticks||Unsalted Butter|
|3× 14 oz. cans||98% Fat Free Lower Sodium Beef Broth|
|3||Packets Herb*ox Sodium Free Beef Bouillon|
|1½ tsp||Worcestershire Sauce|
|Sargento Lower Sodium Mozzarella Cheese, i used about 3 packages for the whole soup|
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Saute sweet onions in 1 stick butter until crisp tender - about 20 minutes. Transfer to crock pot. Do the same with the red onions.
2. Add beef broth, water, bouillon powder. Mix well. Add worcestershire & bay leaves.
3. Cover. Cook on low 7 hours or until onions are tender. Discard bay leaves.
4. About 1/2 hour before soup is ready....slice french bread into 1" thick slices. Place on cookie sheet & spread olive oil over each slice. Bake 15-20 minutes until nice & crisp.
5. When soup is done, preheat broiler to high. Ladle soup into bowls. Place toast on top of soup. Sprinkle with mozzarella & place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is all melty & brownish in color. Enjoy!