Heavenly Pork & Noodle Soup
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 inutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
|3 cups||Chicken Broth|
|¼ cup||Soy Sauce|
|¼ cup||Dry Sherry|
|3 Tbsp||Packed Light Brown Sugar|
|4 cloves||Fresh Garlic, peeled and micro-planed|
|1||2" Piece Fresh Ginger, peeled and micro-planed|
|2||Pieces Star Anise*|
|3 lb||Boneless Pork Shoulder|
|1 head||Bok Choy Cabbage, roughly chopped|
|3½ oz||Dried Rice Vermicelli Noodles|
|½ cup||Chopped Fresh Cilantro|
|* Do Not Substitute|
1. Combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and star anise in a large pot over high heat. Bring the liquid to a rolling boil.
2. Place the pork shoulder into a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Carefully pour the boiling broth over the pork, cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
3. Once done, remove the pork from the slow cooker and roughly shred the it.
4. Return the shredded pork to the broth and add the bok choy; cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
5. Break the noodles in half and place them in a deep dish or mixing bowl and pour about 4 cups of boiling water over them. Allow the noodles to sit in the water until they are al dente, about 10 minutes.
6. Divide the cooked noodles among six soup bowls and ladle the desired amount of soup over the noodles. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro and serve immediately accompanied by chop sticks, soup spoons, and additional cilantro.
Do not substitute anise for the star anise, the result will be disappointing.